Friday, November 7, 2008

Traditional Design and the Aesthetic of Progress

When creating a new composition, be it art or design, the creator makes a series of aesthetic choices. Many of these choices are entirely conscious, but some are not. One, which I believe is largely unconscious in contemporary work, is the aesthetic of progress. This aesthetic choice is perhaps the most pervasive and widely used choice, and its continuous use has weakened certain fields. I believe that academic furniture design is one of those weakened fields.

When a designer uses the aesthetic of progress he/she makes the assumption that what is new is better. A new and previously unseen combination of design elements is “fresh.” New and uniquely individual compositions have become the hallmark brand of the designer. There is much to be valued in this type of aesthetic, as design fashions move their way through history. Changing styles also create a demand for new products by making older compositions obsolete. However, in the case of studio furniture, an aesthetic of progress isn’t always better.

Furniture is for most people a substantial investment, even with inexpensive imported furniture from which to choose. Studio furniture typically resides at the top price-point amongst new furniture. Only important historic pieces are sold for more money. However, it is indeed against the backdrop of antiques that I would like to compare studio furniture.

If one compares the design complexity of many antiques to current works, one will often find that historic designs are much more complex and required far greater labor to create than much of what is currently being made in the studio furniture area. If one compares the best antique work against the best work of today, the antique work is superior in almost every regard: better workmanship, better integration of design elements and a higher level of complexity. So how did antique work get so accomplished?

I have come to believe, not that the appreciation of antiques has grown, but that modern design and construction skills have gotten got worse. The reason modern design got worse is that culture has demanded new and interesting things. Artists and designers, in turn, increasingly responded to this expectation for several generations. The priority for newness, however, has gotten to the point that traditional skills and design methods are no longer taught. Instead, the educational priority in crafts is for experimentation. Experimentation is a fine thing, but I believe that students of craft should also learn the lessons of history. Traditional design required a development of skills that current curricula do not even approximate. I believe a lack of knowledge of traditional design negatively impacts future work.

About 5 years ago I began to gain a new respect for traditional design. My wife’s career relocation necessitated closing my studio. Because the move was temporary, it didn’t make sense to open another studio, just to lose that investment of work and money when we moved again. The break, however, gave me the opportunity to examine historic architecture in western Massachusetts where we lived. I quickly realized that I did not possess the ability to recreate much of the work I examined. It seemed almost impossible to understand the organization of complicated architectural ornaments, or even to comprehend the design method for a Victorian piece of furniture. The more I attempted to create work in the Victorian style, the more I realized that I actually knew very little about design. As the years have passed and I have become more educated about traditional design, some of the mystery has disappeared. However, I continue to be humbled by the high level of compositional ability that was considered mere competence in the previous era. In my current work, I am attempting to use what I have learned from traditional works to improve the overall quality of what I do in the studio. However, these attempts have met with resistance from the faculty advisors in my graduate school program. In my opinion, they are clearly dedicated to the aesthetic of progress and to the development of a personal style of work. My attempts to gain a design fluency that incorporates the lessons of history are met with comments like, “We’ve seen this before.”

So, is new always better? I suppose from a marketing standpoint that it could be, but it also may not. When it comes to furniture, often people want what helps them to feel comfortable at home, and this is not always something challenging and new. In addition, if the field is always looking to innovation without actually learning the tradition of our craft, how can a craftsman say that he/she is a master? I don’t argue that progress should be stopped in favor of a rear-looking copying of past creative efforts, but I think it’s also wrong to ignore the good lessons that can be learned from studying historical work. It seems particularly noteworthy to me that a history of crafts survey course is not even offered by my graduate department.

How ironic it seems that a field like contemporary crafts, that owes so much to traditional methods of handwork, should be so averse to historical study. I believe the craft field as a whole could use a renewed discussion about its relationship to traditional work. In my opinion, there is much to be gained by studying and understanding past designs.

4 comments:

Aaron McIntosh said...

Excellent and rather revealing points about our graduate curriculum. Even though my work is moving around and perhaps beyond craft, I agree that an historic survey course should be a solid part of the curriculum. I suppose it is because I went to a traditional craft school for undergrad, but I am often astonished when fellow craft grads have no clue when I mention a historical (mostly contemporary, too) craftsman name. Just as important, and along the same lines as your argument, is the necessity of understanding the studio crafts movement of the past 5 decades (i.e. contemporary craft) and how they have shaped the current discourses surrounding craft and its future. Yes, we should definitely be exposed to these critical studies while in graduate school. Let's hope that change may come. In the meantime, continue to do your own research. Afterall, that is what happens when we leave school.

Andrea said...

Hi Jon, I would ask YOU, since you are the one in this place between the traditional craftsperson and the contemporary artist, how you think you can say these things through your work...a comment on the conflict or something of the sort. Your viewpoint seems a bit romantic, and though I agree with the importance of understanding the history of the field, I'm not sure I believe that everyone should learn the skills that took "master" craftspeople decades to perfect. Being informed and needing to know every detail of the production methods are two different things, and the second may not help an undergraduate student develop in their own artistic vein. Would you ask painting students to reproduce a Picasso or learn to paint in the style of Seurat? I think the goal (and that of grad school in general) is to work through the conflicting view points and say something that is meaningful to you and challenging to your peers.

Unknown said...

Jon,

Craft is certainly still dealing with an identity crisis as a result of modernism. And as I discussed this very issue with Aaron and Barbara Livar just yesterday, I think that "Modernism smoked Craft."

To fully illustrate how bad Modernism was for craft I would like to quote Dr. Terry Barret, an art critic and distinguished professor at The Ohio State University. Barret on Modernism:

"Modernism in art is known for such tenets as these: a superior attitude toward and opposition to popular culture; an emphasis on high art and its superiority to the crafts; an objection to art as entertainment; an insistence on its own self-sufficiency ("art for art's sake"); a belief that art primarily refers to other art, rather than to the social world; a desire to be judged by formalist criteria and how the artwork furthers the history of art; a disregard for context in interpretation; a preoccupation with the purity of medium ("flatness" in painting, for example); a rejection of narrative content as appropriate for serious art; a belief in the individual genius of the artist; a desire for originality; a thirst for the new; and a reverence for the precious, unique art object."

I agree whole heartedly that a thirst for the new and for progress is actually counter productive. I also believe that the study of history is essential in creating informed work. However, every artist is not a historian and a scholar. Artists are dabblers. We know a little bit about everything and are seldom accomplished researchers on any particular subject. It seems just posturing that so many artist talks address issues far beyond their own expertise. We are victims of our own wonder and curiosity.

I do not believe we are losing hand skills however. Many of the shops that produced antique work employed many craftsman who each work in their own particular area of expertise. For instance a victorian chair would have employed an upholsterer, a carver, a turner, a joiner, etc. Now all of these tasks are carried out by one person. It is nearly impossible to be proficient at all of these tasks on the same level as people who who only specialized in one.

Today's artists and crafts people are excellent critical thinkers, which allows them to divert their attention to many more issues than just making. When designers spent much time creating the best chair, aesthetically speaking, they did not stop to think about the implications of the object or its meaning. Today, and especially these issues are inseparable from studio practice, for better or for worse.

Thanks modernism!

Unknown said...

I also agree that craft history is a huge hole in the curriculum. I have to say though, that I owe much to Dr. Charles Brownell for bringing up to a respectable level of working knowledge in the history of design and decorative arts.

He is teaching a course called The History of the Arts and Crafts Movement this spring. I think it should be mandatory for all crafts grads at VCU.